The “Kakkavos” estate is located in the area of ”Mesokampos” Messolonghi, about five kilometers from the city.
Its name is the medieval word of our language “kakkavos”, another type of kakkavos – kakkavos, as our Byzantine ancestors called partridge, the beautiful bird that abounded in space until the beginning of the last century.
It covers an area of about 400 acres and spreads on the slopes and between the lower hills of the last reefs of the central part of Mount Aracynthos or Zygos, a place with magnificent views to the south. The visitor’s view extends from the lush plain and the town of Messolonghi with its beautiful lagoon to Patraikos and the Peloponnese to reach the Ionian Islands with Kefalonia and Zakynthos deep in the horizon. Closer to the west and southwest, respectively, are the hill of Nea Neater Pleronos with the amazing ruins of Hellenistic times (recently revealed) and Gyftokastro, the Homeric Pleron that has not been excavated yet.
On its western border, the Kakkavos River descends into Mesokambos from the area of Elliniko (Retsina), with a waterfall, and flows into the lagoon. Its eastern border is the hill of Ai-Lia, with the ruined chapel of Prophet Elias and Pigadaki and the torrent Katroulis today. Northern border the eyebrows anonymous hills, extension of the name Big Country and Vritsouli. The southern boundary is the TOEV rural road and a watering canal.
The estate also has its own water ablaze, a source of drinking water that flows into the stream of the Kalamakis brook, as well as a well, from the same underground vein whose water reached its lips in winter. Today only the source still holds water all year long.
Inside the estate are two hills, one anonymous, on which Anastasios K. Alexandropoulos (the eldest) built, in 1870, the surviving farmhouse, the second, south of the first, was named Kassidiaris, by the adjective former owner; but the Army, when they rented the space as an auxiliary shooting range, was called a turtle by its shape.
Always a meadow until the middle of the last century, Kakavos was sufficient to breed, at 3/4 of the year, 350 sheep (the last breeders George Sarris, Spyros Sarris, Olga’s widow Ioannis Sarris) and 100 goat breeders. ), all Ablianites, stayed with families in huts except summer time, so they went up to the summer meadows of Beech and Sarathena.
Kakkavos has always been inhabited by Greek Ablianites, the only population of the area engaged in livestock farming, even during the Turkish occupation, as evidenced by the preservation of its ancient Greek name to this day. During the period of slavery, it would form part of a national land and, therefore, became a post-revolutionary land distribution to national (ex-Turkish) fighters in the ’21 (concession in 1874 by Greek state to militant Anastasios Alexandropoulos).
Alexandris was killed in the siege of Aetoliko in 1823 by the Turkish bomb that fell, opening the well of salvation for his besiegers. In Mesolongi, the cheerful family lived through all the drama and grandeur of the city’s struggle. During the great siege (1825-1826), Constantine (Skoufas at the springs) was included in the children-warriors of Messolonghi who were so praised. Entering adolescence, he took part in the Struggle as a “golfer”. The group of “jugglers” consisted of 15- and 16-year-olds, who did not wear the heavy armor of the Fighters nor heavy clothing with a cloak (eg kappa) but only the “waistcoat” over the shirt to be agile. Their mission was difficult: with their youthful agility and agility, bold and fearless, secretly crossing the hostile Turkish and Egyptian camps, they were able to convey messages and correspondence to the outskirts of the Mesopotamian camp and the Karaipanakian camp.
At “Exodus”, on the night of the Great Khalmos, Constantine was rescued. The traces of Catherine are lost forever, and for some time Spyros is unknown when and how.
Constantis fought until the end of the Revolution as a more agnostic fighter, and his homeland honored him with high valor (fig. 1) with his new surname Alexandropoulos, which all his descendants maintained. Unable to return to his hometown, Epirus still remains a slave to the Turks. He fled to Abliani, where he was married to Giannoula Barchoka, of the ancestral family of the current Professor of Pediatrics University of Athens and a great philanthropist (President “Mother” etc.) Christos Spyros Barchoka.
The 3 of the 4 boys of Constantinos, already a master of law and law, are studying law (Ioannis, Georgios, Dimitrios) and are practicing law in Messolonghi, one of whom was George with a brilliant career in Justice has already entered politics with the party (1890) of his friend H. Trikoupis. Elected Member of Evritania, he was Minister, Senator and Aristotle Senator of Etolonia (1929). Their other son, Anastasios, who is also a philanthropist, discontinues his high school studies (his bachelor’s degree) and manages the property. He builds on the hill of Kakkavos (circa 1880) the farmhouse he still lives in, where they settle with his family, and does not abandon his love of letters during his school days. When Olga K. Alexandropoulou’s bride first visited the now closed farmhouse (all his children had already settled in the city), in a closet by the fireplace, where her father-in-law’s “bassoon” found important from his books, where there were surplus ancient writers and Homer’s epics, all … only in the original !! who was reading them.
Anastasios died without seeing his sons scientists, except for the just-born doctor Constantine, who took on all the heavy responsibilities: property management, caring for mothers and the rest of the family, marrying his sisters and siblings. , John, Symeon and George, who, however, a law student, were killed in an accident. He builds the surviving home in Abliani (1911). Having successfully fulfilled all his obligations, only Constantine returned to the arrangement of his personal life: he went to Paris to specialize in Gynecology and was married to Agrinotissa Olga, daughter of the long-serving MP Trichonidos Doctor Dimitrios.
Their firstborn son, Anastasios, with Elizabeth’s wife Gianniotissa, are also converting the Kakkavos into an olive grove in its current form, and is currently managed by the wife of the first daughter Olga, the dentist Takis Papachristos Hours. on the Kakkavos estate
Kakkavos Estate (pronounced Ká-ka-vos) took its name by the beautiful bird partridge which thrives in the area. We can also find the name kàkkavos mentioned by the greek poet Homer in his texts and referred as the “big cooking pot”.